Packing is one of the most important things to think about when moving or storing as you will find out when you try to find something when unpacking or from your storage unit.
Here are some packing and protection tips.
- Buy plenty of boxes and start packing them as soon as you can.
- Use the same size boxes for easy stacking, don’t fall into the trap of using boxes from the supermarket, they aren’t strong enough and you risk damaging your goods.
- List all the items that go into each box as well as labeling it on the box, number the box on all sides and keep this number on the list.
- Have a copy of the list available when you come to the storage unit and all you have to do is find the box number instead of reading all the contents of every box.
- Fill all the boxes to the top as partially full boxes will collapse under weight.
- Seal boxes with packing tape to keep out dust and strengthen.
- Pack books and other heavy objects in smaller boxes.
- Books should be packed flat so that the spines don’t break
- Separate your goods with felt blankets, cardboard or bubble wrap while moving and in storage.
- Great care should be taken to avoid storing anything that could attract vermin.
- Food of any kind must not be stored – this includes wheat bags, dried flowers etc.
- Don’t risk attracting vermin to your unit and compromising the whole facility
- Fridges, freezers and other white goods should be thoroughly defrosted, dry and cleaned before storing. Always move and store your fridge in an upright position. Keep fridge and freezer doors slightly ajar and leave a deodorizer inside.
- We recommend that you visit your unit periodically to check on your goods, we do not have access to your unit, so checking their condition is up to you.
Contact David on 087 91 94226 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively you can use our contact form here >>
Staffords Self Storage – A space to suit you.